Top Investment Banking Roles You Should Know; A Definitive Guide!
Investment banking is a field of finance that deals with creating capital for individuals, companies, and governments.
An investment banking career involves various services such as underwriting, mergers and acquisitions, restructuring, and capital raising.
Investment banks have become essential to the financial world, and their professionals have highly sought after.
Let’s start with an introduction to the role of an investment banker.
What does an investment banker do?
An investment banker is a financial professional who assists companies in raising capital by providing advice on financial matters such as mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings (IPOs), and debt & equity offerings.
You will be able to help clients determine the valuation of their companies and identify potential buyers while pursuing an investment banking career.
In addition to financial expertise, investment bankers possess strong analytical, communication, and negotiation skills and work closely with other professionals such as lawyers, accountants, and analysts to ensure that transactions are executed smoothly and efficiently.
Top Investment Banking Roles and Career Paths to Consider in 2023
Here are some top investment banking roles you should know:
#1 Investment Banker
An investment banker is one of the top investment banking roles which helps companies.
Governments raise capital by issuing and selling securities.
They also assist with mergers, acquisitions, restructuring, and other financial transactions. Investment bankers work with clients to identify the best financing strategies, create financial models, and negotiate deals.
Click here: Want to build your career in BFSI field? Get 100% Placement Assistance with Expertrons in Kotak Mahindra Bank, Union AMC & more.
#2 Equity Research Analyst
It is one of the top investment banking roles which are responsible for evaluating companies and industries to provide investment recommendations to clients.
They analyze financial statements, industry trends, and market data to determine the value of a company’s stock.
Equity research analysts work closely with investment bankers and portfolio managers to help clients make informed investment decisions.
#3 Sales and Trading
It is one of the top investment banking roles which work to buy and sell securities for clients.
They use their knowledge of the markets to execute trades and manage risk.
Sales professionals work to build relationships with clients and help them make informed investment decisions.
Trading professionals use technology and market data to execute trades and manage risk.
Also read: Hottest BFSI trends that will dominate the banking industry in 2023
#4 Corporate Finance
is one of the top investment banking roles that work with companies to manage their finances and help them achieve their strategic objectives.
They may be involved in mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financing, and financial planning and analysis.
Corporate finance professionals work closely with executives to create financial models, evaluate business opportunities, and make strategic decisions.
#5 Private Equity
It is one of the top investment banking roles which work with investors to buy and sell companies.
They evaluate potential investments, negotiate deals, and manage investments through the holding period.
Private equity professionals may be involved in all stages of the investment process, from sourcing deals to selling investments.
Also read Outlook of Banking and Finance Industry in 2023
#6 Asset Management
It is one of the top investment banking roles that manage investment portfolios for individuals, companies, and institutions.
They work to create diversified portfolios that meet their client’s investment objectives.
Asset management professionals may be involved in all types of investments, including equities, fixed-income securities, and alternative investments.
Investment Banking; Qualification, Experience, Skills & Certification
If you are interested in pursuing an investment banker career, it is important to understand the qualifications and eligibility requirements needed to succeed in this demanding field.
- Most investment bankers hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, accounting, or a related field.
- Some investment banks may require a Master’s degree in finance or an MBA as well.
- A strong academic background focusing on finance and accounting is essential to develop the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in investment banking.
- Experience is an essential component of an investment banking career.
- Many investment banks offer internship programs to help students gain practical experience and exposure to the industry.
- Additionally, previous experience in related fields such as accounting, consulting, or corporate finance can be beneficial in securing an entry-level position in investment banking.
- Investment bankers need to possess a wide range of skills to be successful in the industry.
- Strong analytical skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work under pressure are essential.
- Excellent communication skills and building and maintaining relationships are also important, as investment bankers work closely with clients, colleagues, and other professionals to execute complex financial transactions.
- Many investment bankers choose to obtain certifications such as the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) or the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Series 7 license.
- These certifications demonstrate a commitment to the profession and mastery of key concepts and skills needed for success in investment banking career.
If you want to shape the industry skills to enter the world of banking and finance, Expertrons is the way to go!
With the help of Expertrons Post Graduate Certification Program in Banking and Financial Services, you can build in-demand banking skills & gain 5x industry knowledge via a world-class curriculum.
Click here: Want to work in Kotak Mahindra Bank, Union AMC & more? Get 100% Placement Assistance with Expertrons now
In conclusion, investment banking offers many exciting and challenging career opportunities. These are just a few top investment banking roles you should know.
Each of these roles requires specific skills and knowledge, so it’s important to research and find the right role for you.
Whether you’re interested in an investment banking career, equity research, sales and trading, corporate finance, private equity, or asset management, a role will challenge and reward you.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What does an investment banker do?
An investment banker advises corporations and governments on financial transactions such as mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings (IPOs), and debt and equity offerings.
They help companies raise capital and determine the value of their business.
- What are the investment banking roles & responsibilities?
An investment banker is responsible for advising clients on financial transactions, developing financial models and analysis, identifying potential buyers or investors, negotiating and structuring deals.
- What is the typical career path for an investment banker?
Most investment bankers begin their careers as analysts and then progress to the associate, vice president, director, and managing director positions.
Some investment bankers may also choose to pursue advanced degrees such as an MBA or a CFA certification to enhance their skills and knowledge.